# PHP 5.5 upcoming roadmap

- Thread: https://externals.io/message/65865
- Original archive: https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/65865
- Started by Julien Pauli on 2013-02-15T12:05:17+00:00
- Messages: 5
- Reply by email to internals@lists.php.net
- More for agents: search with https://externals.io/search.md?q={query} · JSON API at https://externals.io/api · documentation at https://externals.io/llms.txt

---

## #65865 — Julien Pauli — 2013-02-15T12:05:17+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/65865#65865

Hello everyone,

As you may know, Zend recently open sourced ZendOptimizer+ with a PHP
Licence.
We are planning to merge it to PHP5.5 Core (discussions on Mailing lists
and IRC) and have it bundled with PHP5.5 final release stable.

For this, we need to merge new code to 5.5 as well as have a testing period
for this new feature.

As RMs, David and I decided then to change the original release plans for
5.5.
5.5 will benefit a new alpha (5th), on thu 21st Feb. ZO+ will be merged for
this alpha.
Then, we are planning to release the first beta on March the 7th. We remind
you that beta stage means feature freeze. We won't accept new features code
after the first beta is released.

This is a (about) one month delay compared to original planning (first beta
was planned for Feb 7th), but it is needed.

You will find more information about ZO+ integration on the wiki, at
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/optimizerplus

Julien Pauli and David Soria Parra

---

## #65867 — Patrick ALLAERT — 2013-02-15T12:19:29+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/65865#65867 · In reply to: #65865

2013/2/15 Julien Pauli <jpauli@php.net>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As you may know, Zend recently open sourced ZendOptimizer+ with a PHP
> Licence.
> We are planning to merge it to PHP5.5 Core (discussions on Mailing lists
> and IRC) and have it bundled with PHP5.5 final release stable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is part of the following RFC:
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/optimizerplus which contains some voting
options.
Isn't a vote supposed to happen *before* it is actually merged or did
I miss something (#pecl ?).

Patrick

---

## #65875 — Sherif Ramadan — 2013-02-15T15:34:56+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/65865#65875 · In reply to: #65867

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Patrick ALLAERT <patrickallaert@php.net>wrote:

> 2013/2/15 Julien Pauli <jpauli@php.net>:
> > […]
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but this is part of the following RFC:
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/optimizerplus which contains some voting
> options.
> Isn't a vote supposed to happen *before* it is actually merged or did
> I miss something (#pecl ?).
>
>
I must have missed the discussion where the voting was skipped, but I am
kind of concerned that such a big change is going to make it into a feature
frozen version (where we won't be able to say this should be removed (BC
and all that)) without a vote.

I'm not necessarily saying I'm opposed to this addition as I think it's
great, but I'd like an opportunity to test it out first and play around
with it for a few weeks. It's hard to find major problems without a lot of
testing and then our biggest problem is always BC. We always find BC to be
one of the biggest reasons to hold off on changing stuff.

I have looked at the code but in my experience you don't find real bugs
until you start testing code you already have working in production on
these patches to find the really annoying bugs.


> Patrick

---

## #65877 — Lars Strojny — 2013-02-15T18:08:53+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/65865#65877 · In reply to: #65865

Hi Julien,

Am 15.02.2013 um 13:05 schrieb Julien Pauli <jpauli@php.net>:

> Hello everyone,
> 
> As you may know, Zend recently open sourced ZendOptimizer+ with a PHP
> Licence.
> We are planning to merge it to PHP5.5 Core (discussions on Mailing lists
> and IRC) and have it bundled with PHP5.5 final release stable.

I'm sorry, but you must be kidding doing such a change and skipping the RFC process altogether. This will seriously hurt the acceptance of the whole RFC process and there won’t be a good argument against people just committing random changes without an RFC. How should I convince somebody with a working pull request to go ahead and deal with an RFC when we introduce changes like that "just like that".

Can we please stop the process insanity and stick to our own rules (or change them in a transparent way).

Thanks,
Lars

---

## #65879 — Lars Strojny — 2013-02-15T18:19:03+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/65865#65879

Hi David,

thanks for the clarification, sounds like a plan :-) I'm not opposed to including O+, quite the opposite but I want us to stick to our process.

cu,
Lars

Am 15.02.2013 um 19:14 schrieb David Soria Parra <dsoria@gmx.net>:

[...]

> > […]
> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (Darwin)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/
> 
> iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJRHnsjAAoJEKSanlo0ToXKmXAP/AuKTYfcm3PZdrOu9nqDkg8x
> IjnsY5pMybDTbkJtLw96DT+5Zz24t9BdwBPwTRkKccLiYGavCQvV+ewdNUMEFrv7
> kbuyi6tgRbB/aUpocKXbzq5CRk19YcIZr3E4HXpeMHcNhXGbFRmXvk8yMUWlTGMn
> Fsf6v9bs+4d/uCaSMr2jS56KgDTn9pseAbeDumj3L+EAZYF+k/lz0YuxNC7X3EUv
> HclKiPBLroaYz0q4Yg+BHuBsCgkhGnzwxNlYfkCPHh8mZZFxUtcIkONgILgxsGMA
> +ik51JzspZRkdvr+TpvE6Va5O52i3C31wxKelr4f2+dgDO7v28tqOxrOHYVZgpdY
> NK3GOYDgp1YgphY0CY/J0IrK2yLjdqois7qynuyAwP7DxE/ytz6HFs4UuzPdM6Ry
> sFXua/L5JFzHHO4jU1x47BDM/Blre2COQaMdB1GE2hgFIjKqU5cQRHxMG6VzGCct
> UiWik8/1sLQKoMFQnSMBHbidlYbDCKd4kW2dyKjKw9Ok3MfW08VPZ/SBJNB2RDYP
> aYD4OcVe9SE9kuJEP0sxs9f/s4xMmkiP6AYa/2e2L4UqfoT0bo20HrrA50h0lKXb
> hkj/yOWB9f6qy3qUhDK5EdbSPK5i18cS5jWcseXLjHlE/xADWGrTyjAg2flaKAQT
> xF5/opO8pfoi4PY6osQT
> =iZJN
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE
