# 5.4 Alpha 2

- Thread: https://externals.io/message/53898
- Original archive: https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/53898
- Started by Stas Malyshev on 2011-07-11T22:53:23+00:00
- Messages: 7
- Reply by email to internals@lists.php.net
- More for agents: search with https://externals.io/search.md?q={query} · JSON API at https://externals.io/api · documentation at https://externals.io/llms.txt

---

## #53898 — Stas Malyshev — 2011-07-11T22:53:23+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/53898#53898

Hi!

I'm planning to do 5.4 alpha 2 on 14th (Thursday this week), so if 
anybody has anything urgent for it or any comments/requests, please talk 
to me ASAP.
-- 
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/
(408)454-6900 ext. 227

---

## #53899 — Pierre Joye — 2011-07-11T23:16:23+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/53898#53899 · In reply to: #53898

hi,

I would rather wait the 2nd wave of RFCs to be adopted/rejected before
doing a2, if some has no patch (or far to be ready) or too risky (the
int/string/float looks like one to me) should be dropped and delayed
to the next release.


> Hi!
>
> I'm planning to do 5.4 alpha 2 on 14th (Thursday this week), so if anybody
> has anything urgent for it or any comments/requests, please talk to me ASAP.
> --
> Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
> SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/
> (408)454-6900 ext. 227
>
> --
> 
> 
>
>



-- 
Pierre

@pierrejoye | http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org

---

## #53900 — Kalle Sommer Nielsen — 2011-07-11T23:20:20+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/53898#53900 · In reply to: #53899

Hi

2011/7/12 Pierre Joye <pierre.php@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> I would rather wait the 2nd wave of RFCs to be adopted/rejected before
> doing a2, if some has no patch (or far to be ready) or too risky (the
> int/string/float looks like one to me) should be dropped and delayed
> to the next release.

I agree, it would make more sense to have the votings over before
doing the next Alpha, so theres time to cook up relevant patches and
commit them.


-- 
regards,

Kalle Sommer Nielsen
kalle@php.net

---

## #53902 — Stas Malyshev — 2011-07-11T23:23:04+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/53898#53902 · In reply to: #53899

Hi!


> I would rather wait the 2nd wave of RFCs to be adopted/rejected before
> doing a2, if some has no patch (or far to be ready) or too risky (the
> int/string/float looks like one to me) should be dropped and delayed
> to the next release.

Why delay? RFCs are a separate things, and they should be ready for the 
beta. We have a number of features that need testing - webserver, Zend 
Signals, XSLT fixes...
We'll have another alpha in early August most probably anyway.
-- 
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/
(408)454-6900 ext. 227

---

## #53904 — Pierre Joye — 2011-07-11T23:27:05+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/53898#53904 · In reply to: #53902

> Hi!
>
> 
> > […]
>
> Why delay? RFCs are a separate things, and they should be ready for the
> beta. We have a number of features that need testing - webserver, Zend
> Signals, XSLT fixes...
> We'll have another alpha in early August most probably anyway.

If that's the case, well, why not. But if not, we'd to freeze the
chosen additions and now rather than later (as per the release RFC).

Cheers,
-- 
Pierre

@pierrejoye | http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org

---

## #53905 — Stas Malyshev — 2011-07-11T23:28:28+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/53898#53905 · In reply to: #53900

Hi!


> I agree, it would make more sense to have the votings over before
> doing the next Alpha, so theres time to cook up relevant patches and
> commit them.

Well, OK, let's say we delay a week. Vote closes on 16th, and I'd have 
to pack on 20th, so we get 4 days for people to dust off patches, apply 
them, check that everything works, etc. I'm not sure it's worth it - I'd 
rather have another alpha - but let's hear what other RFC authors think.
-- 
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/
(408)454-6900 ext. 227

---

## #53909 — Hannes Magnusson — 2011-07-12T08:16:28+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/53898#53909 · In reply to: #53905

> Hi!
>
> 
> > […]
>
> Well, OK, let's say we delay a week. Vote closes on 16th, and I'd have to
> pack on 20th, so we get 4 days for people to dust off patches, apply them,
> check that everything works, etc. I'm not sure it's worth it - I'd rather
> have another alpha - but let's hear what other RFC authors think.

I'd say leave the RFC things out for this alpha.
Committing to many things in the last days before alpha just increases
the risk of it being b0rked.
Plus, I'm in Paris for that week so won't be able to commit my
proposed changes anyway ;)

-Hannes
