# PHP 5.1 Release Candidate 1

- Thread: https://externals.io/message/17419
- Original archive: https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/17419
- Started by Andi Gutmans on 2005-07-27T00:50:07+00:00
- Messages: 8
- Reply by email to internals@lists.php.net
- More for agents: search with https://externals.io/search.md?q={query} · JSON API at https://externals.io/api · documentation at https://externals.io/llms.txt

---

## #17419 — Andi Gutmans — 2005-07-27T00:50:07+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/17419#17419

Hi all,

As planned (a tiny bit delayed), I'd like to RC1 PHP 5.1 within the next 
few days. I suggest to aim for Tuesday in a week.
If there are any critical issues which need addressing please email me.

As previously mentioned, I'd like to branch of PHP_5_1 after RC1 in order 
to allow for the Unicode merge to take place. We'll need about a week of 
HEAD silence in the core components (Dmitry and Andrei will indicate which 
ones) so that we can do the merge.

Thanks,
Andi

---

## #17420 — Andrei Zmievski — 2005-07-27T01:38:14+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/17419#17420 · In reply to: #17419

We probably shouldn't merge anything in until after OSCON. When is  
Dmitriy back?

-Andrei




> Hi all,
>
> As planned (a tiny bit delayed), I'd like to RC1 PHP 5.1 within the  
> next few days. I suggest to aim for Tuesday in a week.
> If there are any critical issues which need addressing please email  
> me.
>
> As previously mentioned, I'd like to branch of PHP_5_1 after RC1 in  
> order to allow for the Unicode merge to take place. We'll need  
> about a week of HEAD silence in the core components (Dmitry and  
> Andrei will indicate which ones) so that we can do the merge.
>
> Thanks,
> Andi

---

## #17422 — Michael Wallner — 2005-07-27T07:25:36+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/17419#17422 · In reply to: #17419

Hi Andi Gutmans, you wrote:

> As planned (a tiny bit delayed), I'd like to RC1 PHP 5.1 within the next
> few days. I suggest to aim for Tuesday in a week.
> If there are any critical issues which need addressing please email me.

Is instanceof going to be fixed?
If not (without any reason), I'll shut up from now on, but
I'd like to suggest to remove the deprecation warning from
 `is_a()` as instanceof does not provide the same functionality.

Thanks,
--
Michael - < mike(@)php.net

---

## #17426 — Jani Taskinen — 2005-07-27T11:41:14+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/17419#17426 · In reply to: #17419

These should be definately fixed:

     http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=33772&edit=1 (destruct thing)
     http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=33723&edit=1 (apache + php_admin_value issue)

     These would be nice to get fixed:

     http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31177&edit=1 (memory leak)
     http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=33598&edit=1 (throw from __destruct -> fatal error)
     http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=30453&edit=1 (a) some engine bug)
     http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=30452&edit=1 (b) some engine bug)
     http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31341&edit=1 (inconsistency with { escaping)
     http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25359&edit=1 (array_multisort + global/reference)

     Some of those I've got bitten by myself too.. :)

     --Jani




> Hi all,
>
> As planned (a tiny bit delayed), I'd like to RC1 PHP 5.1 within the next few 
> days. I suggest to aim for Tuesday in a week.
> If there are any critical issues which need addressing please email me.
>
> As previously mentioned, I'd like to branch of PHP_5_1 after RC1 in order to 
> allow for the Unicode merge to take place. We'll need about a week of HEAD 
> silence in the core components (Dmitry and Andrei will indicate which ones) so 
> that we can do the merge.
>
> Thanks,
> Andi
>
>

-- 
Donate @ http://pecl.php.net/wishlist.php/sniper

---

## #17427 — John Coggeshall — 2005-07-27T19:02:40+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/17419#17427 · In reply to: #17426

I'd also like to get this in to PHP 5.1+ after we branch before Unicode:

http://blog.coggeshall.org/archives/204_Code_Coverage_Support_for_PHP_5.html

John

---

## #17428 — Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg — 2005-07-27T20:10:24+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/17419#17428 · In reply to: #17426

I can't remember the status of __toString(), but I thought we agreed
improving it was a 5.1 feature, pending an investigation to make sure
we were able to handle this gracefully in the engine.

I don't remember seeing any updates to this code, so I wanted to see
if I missed it, or if we decided to push this off.

-adam



>
>      These should be definately fixed:
>
>      http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=33772&edit=1 (destruct thing)
>      http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=33723&edit=1 (apache + php_admin_value issue)
>
>      These would be nice to get fixed:
>
>      http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31177&edit=1 (memory leak)
>      http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=33598&edit=1 (throw from __destruct -> fatal error)
>      http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=30453&edit=1 (a) some engine bug)
>      http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=30452&edit=1 (b) some engine bug)
>      http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=31341&edit=1 (inconsistency with { escaping)
>      http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25359&edit=1 (array_multisort + global/reference)
>
>      Some of those I've got bitten by myself too.. :)
>
>      --Jani
>
>
> 
>
> > […]
>
>

-- 
adam@trachtenberg.com | http://www.trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copies today!

---

## #17429 — Marcus Boerger — 2005-07-27T20:51:43+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/17419#17429 · In reply to: #17428

Hello Adam,

  "we accepted that availability of enough excuses to delay it further
  in the hope we never implement it :-)"

  To be honest, we all - obviously including you - forgot about the issue
completley and only realized it during beta process. And for a thing that
need so heavy testing since it must be consistently working all over the
evngine it is simply to late. Probably the best is to remind right after
the unicode stuff is in and simply commit its basics. During development
of 5.2 we can take of it's correctness then.

marcus

Wednesday, July 27, 2005, 10:10:24 PM, you wrote:

> I can't remember the status of __toString(), but I thought we agreed
> improving it was a 5.1 feature, pending an investigation to make sure
> we were able to handle this gracefully in the engine.

> I don't remember seeing any updates to this code, so I wanted to see
> if I missed it, or if we decided to push this off.

> -adam

> 

> > […]

---

## #17509 — Pierre-Alain Joye — 2005-08-03T11:07:33+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/17419#17509 · In reply to: #17419

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:50:07 -0700
andi@zend.com (Andi Gutmans) wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> As planned (a tiny bit delayed), I'd like to RC1 PHP 5.1 within
> the next few days. I suggest to aim for Tuesday in a week.
> If there are any critical issues which need addressing please
> email me.

Mind to create the branche? :)

> As previously mentioned, I'd like to branch of PHP_5_1 after RC1
> in order to allow for the Unicode merge to take place. We'll need
> about a week of HEAD silence in the core components (Dmitry and
> Andrei will indicate which ones) so that we can do the merge.

I still like to see is_a not deprecated unless we have a valid
alternative. As Mike mentioned already, we do not have a
replacement for this function, instanceof being useless as it
miserably failed when you check against a non existent class.

Regards,

--Pierre
