# PHP5 on 7th July?

- Thread: https://externals.io/message/10640
- Original archive: https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/10640
- Started by Stefan Esser on 2004-06-20T10:41:51+00:00
- Messages: 8
- Reply by email to internals@lists.php.net
- More for agents: search with https://externals.io/search.md?q={query} · JSON API at https://externals.io/api · documentation at https://externals.io/llms.txt

---

## #10644 — Sara Golemon — 2004-06-20T08:00:21+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/10640#10644 · In reply to: #10642

> > […]
>
> I don't want GIF support in ;-)
>
While I appreciate your reasons for not wanting GIF and agree with them on
an academic level, I don't think it makes sense from our user's perspective
to hold back support for something for which the base code already exists
and requires only a small amount of administrative front-end work.

As to release timing, I'd feel uncomfortable "adding" a new bundled libgd
the day of/day before release.   I'd sooner release 5.0.0 on the 4th, add GD
on the 8th, and RC 5.0.1 once or twice.  It's technically an exception to
feature freeze within a minor version, but it's an exception within the
bundled library only, not within any of the PHP wrapper code.

In any event, users have the option of using the GD library directly from
boutell.com at any time from the moment the author releases it.  The PHP
release doesn't need to bundle it for it to work.

-Sara

---

## #10651 — Sara Golemon — 2004-06-20T09:10:51+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/10640#10651 · In reply to: #10646

> > […]
on
> > […]
perspective
> > […]
exists
> > […]
>
> Although I don't like GIF, that was not really the reason for saying it.
> I meant that delaying PHP 5 because of GIF is stupid.
>
Ah, my misinterpretation then, sound like we agree on not doing GIF in 5.0.0
and keeping the release date as is.

> Yeah, it's prolly ok to put it in 5.0.1, as long as that's QA-ed
> and handled the 'normal' way, like Ilia is doing for 4.3.x. Don't screw
> up or change our release things for the silly GIF stuff.
>
Ah, I wasn't aware the PHP_4_3 branch would get an updated libgd.  That
sounds like a good thing though, it'll reduce the pressure to upgrade to
PHP5, and as a parallel discussion noted: migration is not a trivial act to
be taken lightly.

> > […]
from
> > […]
>
> But the GD lib from Boutell misses a lot of our fixes though.
>
True 'nuff... I wonder, does it make sense to release a "PHPized" version of
libgd alone so that people who (for their own internal reasons) can continue
to use older versions of PHP without upgrading, but can replace their GD
extension with a GIF enabled one?

It seems a little silly since it makes more sense (from my perspective) to
simply upgrade to 4.3.8 (I'm assuming this is the version that'll have the
new libgd), but those that use distro packages tend to ride several versions
behind because of their distros vetting process.  Hopefully those making the
packages have enough sense to extract the PHPized libgd from CVS or a recent
release, but giving them a little help in that respect couldn't hurt.  Then
again, who are we to be maintaining/releasing someone else's lib?

-Sara

---

## #10640 — Stefan Esser — 2004-06-20T10:41:51+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/10640#10640

Hi,

would it be possible to simply have PHP5 delayed until 7th July?
We could add GIF write support within GD lib, because on the 7th of July 
the patent is world wide lifted.

Stefan
(ps: maybe this even attracts more people to PHP5 ;)

---

## #10641 — Marcus Boerger — 2004-06-20T10:45:50+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/10640#10641 · In reply to: #10640

Hello Stefan,

 imo a very good idea.

Add support at the 7th (no other changes), a few gif tests on the 8th
and then release.

best regards
marcus
 
Sunday, June 20, 2004, 12:41:51 PM, you wrote:

> Hi,

> would it be possible to simply have PHP5 delayed until 7th July?
> We could add GIF write support within GD lib, because on the 7th of July 
> the patent is world wide lifted.

> Stefan
> (ps: maybe this even attracts more people to PHP5 ;)




-- 
Best regards,
 Marcus                            mailto:helly@php.net

---

## #10642 — Derick Rethans — 2004-06-20T12:39:13+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/10640#10642 · In reply to: #10640

> Hi,
>
> would it be possible to simply have PHP5 delayed until 7th July?
> We could add GIF write support within GD lib, because on the 7th of July
> the patent is world wide lifted.

I don't want GIF support in ;-)

Derick

---

## #10645 — Zeev Suraski — 2004-06-20T14:08:08+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/10640#10645 · In reply to: #10642

At 11:00 20/06/2004, Sara Golemon wrote:
>As to release timing, I'd feel uncomfortable "adding" a new bundled libgd
>the day of/day before release.   I'd sooner release 5.0.0 on the 4th, add GD
>on the 8th, and RC 5.0.1 once or twice.

+1 on that.

Zeev

---

## #10646 — Derick Rethans — 2004-06-20T15:14:09+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/10640#10646 · In reply to: #10644

> > […]
> While I appreciate your reasons for not wanting GIF and agree with them on
> an academic level, I don't think it makes sense from our user's perspective
> to hold back support for something for which the base code already exists
> and requires only a small amount of administrative front-end work.

Although I don't like GIF, that was not really the reason for saying it.
I meant that delaying PHP 5 because of GIF is stupid.

> As to release timing, I'd feel uncomfortable "adding" a new bundled libgd
> the day of/day before release.   I'd sooner release 5.0.0 on the 4th, add GD
> on the 8th, and RC 5.0.1 once or twice.  It's technically an exception to
> feature freeze within a minor version, but it's an exception within the
> bundled library only, not within any of the PHP wrapper code.

Yeah, it's prolly ok to put it in 5.0.1, as long as that's QA-ed
and handled the 'normal' way, like Ilia is doing for 4.3.x. Don't screw
up or change our release things for the silly GIF stuff.

>
> In any event, users have the option of using the GD library directly from
> boutell.com at any time from the moment the author releases it.  The PHP
> release doesn't need to bundle it for it to work.

But the GD lib from Boutell misses a lot of our fixes though.

Derick

---

## #10663 — Derick Rethans — 2004-06-20T18:58:36+00:00

URL: https://externals.io/message/10640#10663 · In reply to: #10651

> > […]
> Ah, I wasn't aware the PHP_4_3 branch would get an updated libgd.  That
> sounds like a good thing though, it'll reduce the pressure to upgrade to
> PHP5, and as a parallel discussion noted: migration is not a trivial act to
> be taken lightly.

That's not what I meant, but I do agree  :)

regards,
Derick
